Sunday, January 11, 2015

Frankenstein, Art, Movies and Chit Chat

Hello Bloggers! Today I wanna discuss my all time favorite movie monster Frankenstein. Also known as Adam, named after the biblical first man.
The reanimated corpse sewn together from the parts of other men with a consciousness that may or may not be his own,  a misunderstood man or monster. This story has become a timeless classic and kept my imagination going to this day. 
In my depiction of this character I wanted to show a softer side to a behemoth giant that could kill this little girl with one squeeze. I decided to remove his nose to hammer home the corpse aspect and gave him a turn of the century steam punk life support system build right into his back as appose to the one time shock treatment that might make his muscle and sinew twitch for a minute or so. This was a fun subject to work on and is but step one of the process, stay tuned for the final colored version to come.
While creating this piece I couldn't help but think of the timeless classic from which I drew my inspiration. The 1931 movie Frankenstein, Boris Karloff played this legendary monster to a tee, his performance will always be solidified in my memory along with the drive to the local library as a kid to rent the old classics and watch them in awe. 
The most gritty and real life adaptation of this story in my opinion has to be the 1994 Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, in which Robert DeNiro gives a unexpectedly compelling performance as the Monster. When thinking of who to cast in this role, Robert DeNiro honestly wouldn't have come to most peoples mind, but after steller performances playing non-mobster roles in movies like The Mission, DeNiro gives you a creature you feel all but pity, love and hate.
A Frankenstein-esque movie that has come out recently is called Frankensteins Army. A psychopath doctor who takes over a town and creates his own brand of Nazi zombies is a concept to ridiculous not to work. The story is pretty original and I am always delighted to see practical effects in place of most CG. The movie does a solid job of keeping you involved but falls a little short in places. The originality of the thirty something unique monster creations with retro art deco robotics fused on to their bodies does make for a compelling visual despite the lapse in overall story. Not the best movie or the worst I have seen but is defiantly worth a viewing. 
I hope you have enjoyed this update. If you have any suggestions, remarks or questions about my artwork or movie reviews please leave them below. See you guys next time!



My Frankenstein Sketch
8x10 pen ink and pencil
Step 1 of process
4 hours




Frankenstein's Army Concept Creature Art



No comments:

Post a Comment